Welcome to my blog.


Sunday, August 1, 2010

Flyin Solo

There is something to be said about exploring a city on your own. I encourage everyone to do this (yes, I realize only about 3 people read this and I'm related to half of them - hey mom!) at some point in their life. You get a sense of independence and empowerment. You can do whatever you want, explore where you want, and make sure you do the things that are important to you. It requires you to rely on yourself and you begin to realize how capable you are.

I've been able to do this a few times in the past year and a half. Last summer when I went to Europe, there were 4 of us together trying to figure out how to get around in Paris, not speaking any French. It was amazing we didn't end up at the Moulin Rouge looking for work. Instead, we stayed at some scary hostels, amazing hotels, saw amazing sites, and have hilarious memories of us trying to get around. I visited Katie in NY and had a solo day while she was working. It was me, my GPS on my phone, and my trusty fold out map (yep, totally looked like a local) to take on the city. I loved trying to find my way around, meet new people, and get a feel for the city. My latest solo adventure was in downtown Portland. The highlight of my hippie encounters was while sitting in a park. A retired hippie with a white beard Santa would covet, faded peace tattoos, a wife beater, cane, and tripped-out eyes walked by me, I smiled, he smiled.
Hippie: You have a lovely smile.
Me: Thanks! You are too nice.
Hippie: you should keep smiling! (crazy eye)
Me: Ok! Have a good day! (please leave me alone now, you are starting to scare me)
Hippie: (walks over to a rose bush, picks a rose off - highly illegal, mind you - walks over and hands it to me) This is for you! Oh, Wait! (proceeds to take off the thorns) A gentleman always takes off the thorns at the bottom so a lady can hold it without hurting her hands! That was spontaneous. Its always more sincere when its spontaneous cause it comes from the heart! (hand over heart) Now have a great day and keep your smile!
Me: (slightly confused and not quite sure how to react) Thank you so much! You are the SWEETEST! Yep, spontaneous stuff is great! Have a great day!
Needless to say, I had an amazing time in Portland and felt like I got a real sense of the place through my wanderings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hermit and I love being around people, but I love the learning and exploring each of the cities on my own and having fun little adventures. Til next time blogland. Stay classy... (overused??)

2 comments:

  1. Hooorrraaaayyyy!!!! At last I have another blog to look at!!!! I am an avid blog reader/creeper. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. awesome. consider the reader count 4. ;)

    ReplyDelete